Please note that following types of businesses are prohibited as home occupations and an application for such uses will not be accepted:
In addition, the following home occupations shall require a Conditional Use permit and may be allowed subject to the provisions of Section 26.80.010 of the Revised Code of the City of St. Louis:
- 1. Animal clinics and boarding facilities, including kenneling and day care;
- 2. Dancing Schools;
- 3. Doctor and dentist offices;
- 4. Mortuaries;
- 5. Stables or kennels;
- 6. Private clubs;
- 7. Repair shops;
- 8. Restaurants;
- 9. Tourists homes;
- 10. Automobile repair or paint shops, sales and leasing of new or used autos and auto detailing and washing.
As a requirement of the St. Louis Building Code, unless the owner of a building personally applies for a Certificate of Use and Occupancy for that building or a portion thereof, we will require a notarized letter of authorization from the owner of record for said building.
- 1. Home cooking, preserving or processing of food for resale;
- 2. Home daycares;
- 3. Recording and film studios;
- 4. Home office use for general construction, electrical, painting, plumbing or landscaping contractors;
- 5. Any proposed home occupation that is not specifically prohibited above, but cannot comply entirely with the requirements listed below.
This notarized letter will contain the owners name, address and telephone number and give permission to, the applicant, a full time resident,
to apply for a home occupancy waiver. In the event that a corporation owns or manages the building, the notarized letter of authorization will be on company letterhead and signed by a responsible person, preferably an officer of the corporation .
How much is the application fee for a home occupation?
The forms of payment accepted on this site are:
The cost of an application for a home occupation is
- American Express
- Electronic Check (ACH)
There is a 2.5% processing fee, with a minimum of $1.50, that is added for credit cards.
There is a flat fee of $1.50 added for e-checks.
The City does not receive any of these funds. Thank you for your cooperation.